My soldier boy! ♥

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Missin him and my Army life thus far

So I am a new military wife, and am in the learning process. My hubby joined the Army and left June 30th for basic training. Those first few weeks without him were hard, and numbing really. I had been married for 9 1/2 years and together with my hubby for 11. We were rarely apart. The first few days of having him gone I felt empty, scared, mad, lonely, and so on and so on. I think I felt every emotion humanly possible. I started getting letters weekly, and I would get a 10 minute phone call every Sunday , and I just dealt with his abscence. He graduated from basic on September 11th. I was a nervouse wreck. When I finally saw him standing at attention in his ACU's I was so proud. I just wanted to run to him and wrap my arms around him. Once I finally got to be with him it felt horribly awkward. I hadnt seen or really talked to him in 9 weeks. I didnt know what to do. It felt like I was meeting him for the first time all over again. I was afraid that he was different, and felt different about me. My MIL and BIL took my daughter to the store when we got back to the hotel so we could be alone. The first few minutes alone were strange. My hubby finally asked me if I was okay. I told him it was just wierd and different. Once he kissed me though everything came back. I was no longer nervous or scared...I was happy. When he had to leave again it was horrible as expected. He journeyed on to AIT and this experience was different. Now I got to talk to him everyday, and text. He could use the computer to chat. It was amazing but caused problems sometimes too. I found that being able to talk to him all the time made me angry some days. I got mad that he could talk to me but he couldnt be here if that makes sense. We spent 3 months apart and then the hubby came home for Christmas Exodus. That 2 weeks was awesome! The awkwardness that I felt during basic wasnt there at all. I was just so excited to have him home, playing the hubby and Daddy role again. I had him there to lay with me at night, and play with our daughter. I had a reason to cook a big meal and shave my legs. I had someone to take out the trash! We all fell into our roles within our family unit and I loved it. Then day 15 came around and he had to leave again. It was hard. I have to say that this good bye was easier than the basic graduation but it was hard none the less. So now he has been in the field for 11 days and their is no contact. No phone calls, no letters, no texts and I hate it. I miss him like crazy. I miss having my best friend to talk to every night. I can handle not seeing him but taking away my communication is not okay.
Do I like being a Army wife? I dont know. In the beginning I HATED it. It was a change and change is never easy. I cant say I love it...I for sure dont love it. I am about 20% right now. I am hoping that once I am on a Army base with other wives I will enjoy the experience more. Right now I am 900 miles away from my husband taking care of my little girl by myself, around people who dont understand what I am going thru. I have friends who question my situation, and that makes me angry. I do have a newfound respect and understanding for military wives, and spouses. This life is difficult. There is alot of pressure on the spouse to take care of everything while their soldier protects the world. I am beyond proud of my hubby. I love him more today than 6 months ago. I am still trying to be a Army wife. I hope I get there someday but if I dont I will have definitly given it my all.

No comments:

Post a Comment